Thursday, February 17, 2011

My Favorites: KONG

My mom's friend was asking the other day about how to stop their young dog from chewing. Since we have a bit of experience in this area I thought I'd share our advice!

I had a little bit of a chewing problem when I was younger. Just ask my Dad about the patio furniture or my Mom about her Kate Spade heels and you'll get quite the story. The problem is that as a puppy I didn't know any better. When we are young we need lots of attention, exercise and mental stimulation to stay happy and healthy. When we are not getting these things we have to find a way to tell you we are missing something. We can't literally tell you with our words so we try to show you any way we can. Chewing is one way that certainly gets your attention!

One way to stop us from chewing on your things is to teach us how to enjoy chewing on our things. Give us fun toys, bring home new bones and reward us when we choose our own chewtoy over the handle of your handbag. It took my parents and I a while but we've found quite a few toys, bones and treats that distract me from chewing. Probably best of all is the KONG brand chew toys. Since I'm a big boy I need the Extra Large size KONG and I like it best when mom fills it will lots of treats that I have to work hard to get out.

I recommend mixing small treats, pieces of food and even rice in with peanut butter and then stuffing that thing as tight as possible. I know it doesn't sound good to you humans but I'm licking my lips just thinking about it. Give me a full KONG and I stay busy for a while. The rubbery material is thick enough that I can't actually chew it apart and the hunt to get out all of the filling wears me out mentally too!

Sound like it might help to break your chewing habit? You can get them at every pet store including Petco and Petsmart. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment